#Passion2015 Session 1 notes: Louie Giglio
Passion 2015 Session 1 notes: Louie Giglio
- In the moment Jesus died something powerful happened to you and me.
- Jesus is in fact coming back.
- We have a place to be in God’s story.
- Nothing eclipses the overarching reality that God has put you on earth in a story that is already going on.
- History is His story and he’s got a role for us to play in his story.
John 19:28-29 – Later, knowing that everything had now been finished, and so that Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, “I am thirsty.” A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus’ lips. When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.”With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
- It is finished..
- It’s not just history. It’s your history.
- His last words are our first words. Our life begins where his life ended.
1. The system is finished.
- When Jesus spoke that word, [finished], it meant the system [religious system] was finished.
- Jesus is the final sacrifice for all people of all times.
- Hebrews 10:11-14 Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, and since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool. For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.
- Now it’s all about the Savior who has already made us right with God.
- The systems are over. There is no more making ourselves good enough for God.
“It is finished =Tetelestai = Kala [Tetelestai means “it is finished” in Jesus’ language, the word he would have spoke while on the cross. Kala also means “finished” and is the word the priest would have used when a sacrifice was made.]
2. The wages of sin is finished.
- Sin makes us dead people.
- The issue is are we dead or alive?
- Sin makes us dead.
- Jesus left heaven and stepped on earth to bring us back to life.
- The payment of sin is death, and that happened right then and there.
- Romans 5:6 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!
- Death is real but spiritual death is done. It is finished.
- Sin made you dead but Jesus gives you life.
3. Shame was finished.
- Shame is over. Shame is finished. Guilt is finished.
- Isaiah 6:7 With it he touched my mouth and said, “See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for.”
- You know what’s finished. My shame is finished, my guilt is finished..
- I’ve already been defined by the truth of Jesus .. and I’m not going to carry that shame anymore.
- It’s time to blow out the candles on the pity party cake.
- He’s finished and I’m finished. I’m finished with being condemned.
- Tetelestai defines my life.
- You have a role to play in the story of God.
- He’s not going back to the cross. It was enough. It is finished.
4. Selfish is finished.
- The system is finished, sin is finished, shame is finished, and finally selfish is finished.
- Tonight we rally around a cross where Jesus was selfless like nobody’s ever been selfless before and in that moment he even realized he was part of the story of God. ..Let your will and not my will be done..
- To embrace that the system is over, and sin is over, and shame is over, is to also embody the reality that self is finished.
- We want to to be the “we” not the “me” generation because we want to be His generation.
- What links us together is that word, “it is finished”.
- We’re ending up with eyes on Jesus and celebrating that He gave up His right so that we could become children of God.
- His death right became our birthright and everything we have is because of Him alone.
- So the story we will sing to the world is that I was dead and now I’m alive…
- I am in the movie.
- It’s all Jesus but in that scene I was in it.
- I’ll play the background so that You can get the glory.
- I’m just glad that I’m not dead and that I’m in the movie of God.
*Note: These notes were taken during session 1 and may or may not be Louie’s exact words.