Posted by tijuanabecky
Eating right is part of having a healthy lifestyle. Apples, bananas, pears, carrots, corn and other fruits and vegetables are what you normally think of when eating healthy, but there is more than that. Your body needs a certain amount of calories and the right amounts from each of the food groups. Eating all fruits and veggies, only bread, or mostly meat is not good for you, you need a balance.
When I was researching about healthy eating a week or so ago I came across The USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. This site as well as the links there and below were very helpful –
- My Pyramid Plan – Want to know the amount of each food group you need daily? Enter your information below to find out and receive a customized food guide.
- MyFood-A-pedia – Find the calories and MyPyramid food groups for a food, or compare two foods.
- MyPyramid Menu Planner
- MyPyramid Tracker – an online dietary and physical activity assessment tool that provides information on your diet quality, physical activity status, related nutrition messages, and links to nutrient and physical activity information.
- USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion – The USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion (CNPP) works to improve the health and well-being of Americans by developing and promoting dietary guidance that links scientific research to the nutrition needs of consumers. CNPP is an agency of USDA’s Food, Nutrition, and Consumer Services.
- Healthy Kids Healthy eating is a habit. Like all habits it takes some time and effort to develop, but once developed it can last a lifetime. The best thing we can do for our children is to set up the conditions (at home, at school or anywhere) in which they can develop this habit for themselves.
These sites have helped me figure out how many calories my body needs, how much of each food group I need, and how many calories are in the foods that I’m eating. Not all about just apples and banana’s but also getting the right amount of the other foods too. Maybe start by making a spreadsheet or using the Menu Planner above to help you figure out what you’ll eat when and how many calories you’ve eaten.
With the calorie and healthy eating plan you’re not limited in what you can eat, just have to be sure you stay within calorie limits as well getting the right amount of each food group. You can still eat bagels, crackers, pie, donuts, etc just has to be within reason.
I’ve found that the more I eat fruits and vegetables and less breaded/meat/pasta/sweets that my body starts to desire those things more. My stomach growls and I look in the fridge and the banana or apple, or maybe cheese and crackers sounds better and more appetizing than the cookie or ice cream. Learning what’s filling, what your body is calling for, and knowing that you’re eating right all helps with living a healthy lifestyle and feeling good about yourself.
Other Posts in this Series –